Rainbow Tourism Group Corporate Social Responsibility
Rainbow Tourism Group’s Social Responsibility Programmes are guided by a Cause Branding Approach and a Philanthropic Approach with regard to Environmental Issues primarily, then Health as a secondary focus. Combined the two approaches deal with the determination of Environmental and Health issues that the group can engage in to support and how best these can be supported. Rainbow Tourism Group as a Corporate Citizen will yield sustainable and effective social investment programs through partnerships at grass root level and effective allocation of resources with regard to the environmental and health issues within its immediate surrounds.
The Rainbow Tourism Group, takes note of the fact that its business is dependent on the sustainable development and conservation of the environment as a major pulling factor in generating the necessary tourist traffic. Rainbow Tourism Group will adopt sustainable Tourism Development Practises through the incorporation of the groups Environmental Policy and Waste Management Initiatives into its operational framework.
Rainbow Tourism Group therefore seeks an integrated approach in the execution of Corporate Social Investment Programs through the involvement of associates . Projects like “Community Challenge”, which offer associates opportunities to partner with an organisation within their communities. The associates will contribute by offering their skills and expertise to the benefit of the community .
The following are some of the initiatives currently being undertaken by the group in the three spheres of -:
- Environment Management and Sustainability
- Local communities sustainable development
RTG Corporate Environmental and Corporate Social Responsibility Status
The Rainbow Tourism Group with hotels and lodges located in some of our most beautiful natural areas around the country and the region, is in the fore front of fostering a culture of environmental reciprocity through adopting eco friendly strategies. The main objectives is to foster a culture of good environmental practises by Zimbabweans through adopting of the “reduce , reuse, recycle” strategy within the Rainbow Tourism Group. RTG implemented an environmental policy with effect from 2008 in conjunction with Mapepa, a community based waste management company.
The Rainbow Tourism Group together with several others in the corporate sector continues to note with pride that environmental issues are receiving more recognition and are taking centre stage in fundamental business decisions that affect daily operations within organisations.
The organisation has realised the benefits of adopting lasting solutions to waste management. The tourism industry business is dependent on the environment, tourism is about green issues and sustainable conservation of the environment becomes a major pulling factor in generating the necessary tourist traffic.
For the Rainbow Tourism Group , the sustainability of Clean Up Campaigns have made significant changes within communities, industry and institutions. These campaigns range from -:
- Community Waste Recycling income generating projects
- Bio- degradable waste recycling composts for organic farming
- Invasive Species eradication from the Victoria Falls Rainforest in conjunction with National Parks and Community Volunteers
- Greening of dump sites in communities and schools through clearing waste heaps then tree planting
- Industrial Waste Reduction and Resource Recycling Programs that are implemented with the assistance of E- Africa.
The Rainbow Tourism Group presently has several of these initiatives in place -:
- The Rainbow Tourism Group’s Environmental Policy launched in March 2009 , that gives practical solutions to the adoption of sustainable business practises that impact positively on the environment
- Partnering with ZOPPA – for organic farm produce to promote Organic Foods though The Rainbow Towers Hotel and infiltrated to all the other hotels under the groups portfolio
- Waste Management through the Reduce, Reuse and Recycle strategy Policy being implemented through partnering with Mapepa a community based waste management company and E- Africa.
- Engaging in a National Clean up Campaign by our Hotels in Victoria Falls . The Group’s eco-tourism strategy was put into practice in the following units: Victoria Falls Rainbow Hotel, A’Zambezi River Lodge and Tourism Services Zimbabwe in partnership with Environment Africa commemorated World Clean Up day by picking up litre from Masuwe Bridge and the surrounding areas.
- In Bulawayo , the Rainbow staff led by a troupe of traditional dancers , cleaned the streets and educated the general public on benefits of keeping the environment clean.
- The Rainbow Hospitality School and Touch The Wild were very instrumental in the success of the Clean Up Campaign they participated in over the years including the 2009 World Clean Up Campaign. The Group as a whole led the corporate sector in cleaning initiatives throughout Zimbabwe. It is pleasing to note that the Bulawayo, Kadoma and Victoria Falls majors respectively rallied behind RTG as it made its ecological footprints.
The belief as an organisation is the 360* adoption of sustainable Tourism Development Practises through the incorporation of the groups Environmental Policy and Waste Management Initiatives into our daily operational framework.
The role of local communities within our spheres of business influence is fundamental hence the strategic partnership between Mapepa – a recycling co-operative that works with local women.
As a Tourism player, these and other initiatives are an imminent factor in the Success of the Tourism Sector in Zimbabwe. Positioning the group as a Green Organisation not only benefits the environment we operate in but is an international benchmark for Tourism Destinations within the developed world where the majority of our Tourism Source Markets are based.
The Group in conjunction with Net One and Environment Africa have set up and annual awards scheme aimed at not only the promoting greater awareness of environmental issues but also honours journalists who work within this sector. The Awards are presented quarterly and proved to be a valuable tool in raising awareness of the work being done environment African in conserving our natural habitat.
RTG has been actively involved in environmental and Health issues that foster sustainable development and are critical contributors to the positive sustainable development of Zimbabwe. The Group has won the following awards :
- 1st Runner up –Best Environmentally friendly lodge for the Annual Tourism Awards [ Zimbabwe] 2008 -:Lodge at Ancient City one of its leading lodges under the Touch the Wild brand.
- Best corporate Social Citizen Awards for 2008 for the Annual Tourism Awards Zimbabwe.
- Corporate Environmental Champion for 2009 Award by Environmental Africa , which is the most recognised environmental Group in Zimbabwe.
For further information on these and other initiatives please contact Pride Khumbula on firstname.lastname@example.org
This post is also available in: Chinese (Simplified)